First, an update.
We have had two ladies living with us since August. They are sisters, and have been looking for work. The elder has now found a job, and we are hoping she will be able to get into the apartments she prefers soon.
And the curve ball...
E has been going to horse camp this week. She has done it before and was rather relaxed around the horses. On Wednesday, she was a bit ahead of the others, and decided to be among the first of them to catch a horse. So, bucket of grain in hand, she walked in among them to catch the horse she wanted to ride that day. All went well, she had help from one of the assistants, until the girl told E to keep the grain back a bit while she put a halter on the horse. Of course, the horses (there were two who were after the grain) decided they didn't want the food taken away and began to fight about it. One reared up and came down scraping E's shin and drawing blood. She walked away, and when asked if she was ok said it really hurt. Then, she either fell or started to and the adult who had asked decided she needed to be picked up. E fainted as she was being picked up, probably in shock. Upon examining her shin, it was obvious she needed stitches.
Now, here's the huge blessing. I usually send E down to the ranch with a friend. I had intended, on Wednesday, to go swim laps with a friend while E was gone. As I was walking away from the van, I felt an urging to go along. So, I turned around and asked if I could go down and back. Because of that, I was at the camp when this happened and they didn't need to call me with a "meet me at the clinic/hospital" that would have really freaked me out. Instead, I was able to think and take time to prepare E for the stitches as we drove.
I called Justin and had him meet us at the clinic, where he was a TON of help keeping E calm. He kept me calm as well. I remember once wondering when I was going to freak out. It never happened so I may be stronger than I thought. Justin also took pictures, which I am not posting here as there are probably a few of you who would be freaked out by it all. You can see them here, however, if you are curious.
On the drive to the clinic, E asked why God lets things like this happen. I answered her that sometimes things happen so we can learn and become stronger. My friend said
that he was looking after her; after all, here was her mom. I then began to think, what were the chances of the horse landing on her foot and crushing it? That scrape is about six inches long. The open part is only an inch or so, but she has lost skin for six inches. There's a blessing, an intact foot. There was also no chipping of the shin bone from the scrape, which was enough of a possibility that they took x-rays. That was cool, too, because E got to see them and explore her bones (great science lesson).So, six stitches later, E has a great story to tell. I do as well, with the confirmation that God really watches over us. Things happen, but I am so very grateful that this time He decided that it needed to be a gentle lesson rather then an overwhelming one.
No comments:
Post a Comment